Why do we advocate for sexual wellness?
Having sexual health information and products available in the same location makes sense. We strive to deliver quality products for our clients. As well as providing access to information regarding healthy sexual maintenance regimen.
Sexual health affects physical, mental, emotional, and social health. Good sexual health means you are well informed, careful, and respectful to yourself and others, as well as enjoying yourself sexually in a way you are comfortable with. The more informed you are about sex, the better prepared you are to make good sexual choices. Some medications and conditions can limit desire and function, you should talk to your doctor if you experience lack of desire, or pain from sex. Communication is important to good sexual health. Talk about sex with your doctor and be honest with your questions and concerns. Communication is important with your partner as well, talk about your expectations and boundaries. It is normal for sexual health to evolve with age.
What is Sexual Wellness?
Many people grew up with sex education that centered around reproduction and STI prevention, or no sex education at all. While reproduction and STI are certainly a part of sexual wellness, it is not all inclusive.
Sexual Wellness, also referred to as Sexual Health, is defined by The American Sexual Health Association (ASHA) as the ability to embrace and enjoy our sexuality throughout our lives. It is an important part of our physical and emotional health. ASHA states that being sexually healthy means:
- Understanding that sexuality is a natural part of life and involves more than sexual behavior.
- Recognizing and respecting the sexual rights we all share.
- Having access to sexual health information, education, and care.
- Making an effort to prevent unintended pregnancies and STDs and seek care and treatment when needed.
- Being able to experience sexual pleasure, satisfaction, and intimacy when desired.
- Being able to communicate about sexual health with others including sexual partners and healthcare providers. (https://www.ashasexualhealth.org)
Why Your Sexual Wellness is Important?
Sexual health impacts your physical, emotional, mental and social well-being. Self-care is important, not just for your physical needs, but also your emotional needs. Just as you consider eating right and exercising as essential for your health, so is your sexual wellness. If you have questions about your sexual health, please have an open and honest discussion with a trusted doctor. You will not be the first, or last, patient to discuss this aspect of health with them.
-- Mrs. ShhhhFun